Saturday, January 14, 2023

The Nautilus submarine of Jules Verne + Longhorns

While there are a variety of versions of submarines to represent the famous one posited by Jules Verne in Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, many following Disneyesque inspiration, I decided to search for something more "realistic" or sensible enough to actually make transit underwater.

I'm hoping for something closer to what is described in the books and found this excellent site which I will use to inspire my variation:

Nautilus article

I really like the views of the submarine in the color images.

Of course, I plan to call my version the JVS Naughtylust to fit with my slightly warped sense of humor - but all in good fun.  Oh, the JVS stands for Jules Verne Ship.  Hmm, maybe that should be JVUS with the U being for Undersea? 

Having served in the US Navy, I think it only natural I would seek something rooted more in reality than fantasy. 

The following images have absolutely nothing to do with submarines, just some images of my longhorn cattle herds, 32 stands of 3 plus the six dead seen in the first image.  I tried to pull an image from the submarine article but it didn't work so I thought I'd post these up.  I think I posted some photos before of the full herd (not great images and maybe not on this blog) but I don't recall if I posted these before.  My paint jobs are never going to be art work but I think they are serviceable which works for me.




I made these two above larger images.  My method for texturing my sheet metal bases is to paint the primed base with an acrylic brown paint, swish in ground foam, wait for it to dry, and then knock of excess, and then seal with a matte spray.  For some eras, I also to some adding of grass tufts and other bits.  Probably most are just simple like these.  [Recently acquired a painted Seven Years War army already based on artist's style card that I will not rebase, just retexture, but otherwise I hope to have all my collections on sheet metal bases once completed.





No comments:

Post a Comment