Saturday, December 16, 2017

Holy Smackmyforehead-anolly!

I just counted up and find there are a bit over 650 photographs on this blog!  No way I would have guessed that many - and I put every single one of them here.  I guess you just loose track when it's been over five years of posting.  Sure, lots of posts with no photos that probably not many bother to read but they are a record for me if for no one else.  A bit stunned, though.  650+.  Really?  Guess so.

And between 'main page' posts and all the pages above, there are a bit over 220 entries here (though I didn't count that as carefully).  That, too, is a bit of a surprise, but not quite as big since I do see the stats from the page from time to time.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

A List of Boxers

High thee to the Boxer page above to see a list of the Boxers I've amassed - and it's quite a mass.  Legations to follow.

Friday, December 1, 2017

Blue Moon's German Legation arrives

It's 17" square and adapted from the Austrian Legation and walls, corners, gate, and gate house.  That means I now have the six legations needed - German, Russian, British, American, Japanese, and French.  I also have ruins and some other buildings for the Chinese.  Still need a bunch more Chinese buildings and more ruins.   Cool stuff.  Just got today so no photos yet.

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Followers Reopened

A while back I shut down the followers feature on this blog because of some unwanted activity.  I've reopened it to see what happens.  Hopefully, I'll keep it up.  But if that inappropriate stuff pops up, well, I might shut it down again.  Meanwhile, for all legitimate visitors, enjoy!

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

A box flew in to my house yesterday

And it was full of Boxer rebellion figures and buildings.  Check out the page link above to see some photos with captions.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Updates and Codes

Okay, nothing fancy in the codes, just a reminder that - as long as I keep it up to date - the numbers associated with the various page links above report how many posts by different dates there are on that page and how many photo images.  More or less.  Most recent update, no pictures yet, is on the Scenery page.

In September, if all goes according to plan, I will be visiting a whole bunch of Old West sites in Montana and Wyoming, mostly the latter but including Little Bighorn and the Rosebud site.  This is part of a grand vacation my wife and I are taking.  She wants to see Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks.  All good with me and the historical sites are a side benefit for me.

And, maybe, after the trip I might even have more hobby time.  Can only hope.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Linear or Square?

Not, perhaps, as simple as you might think.

I was contemplating the size of my AWI figure collection versus the size of my gaming table and was startled at how many linear feet just my infantry would fill up.  Came out to about 138 feet - 1/2 inch per figure and over 3,000 figures.  And my table is only 4' x 12' in size.  How in the world would I ever get them all on the table?!

Well, it turns out that is the wrong way to think of it.

Technically that is correct if all the figures were in one rank and all standing shoulder to shoulder.  But if formed into brigade size masses and counting the space all the figures would take up - not just the infantry but cavalry, artillery, command, and casualty figures take up a bit less than ten square feet.  Thus much less than one fourth of the table would be needed for the whole of my AWI figure table to be on the table all at once.  Which means I could run a game with all of them, albeit crowded.

Thankfully, my collection is meant to allow northern, central, and southern campaign games so there would rarely be any point to having all the figures on the table at the same time.  Unless it was Long Island!