Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Flavorings and Cavalry in Prime

Okay, I admit this is not going to be the most exciting post but I think you'll find some things of interest somewhere in the photos.  This first lot is a series of cliffs in development.  I had a bunch of left over pieces from other projects and rather than throw them away I realized I could use them to make a variety of cliffs.  Some might say a piece of 2x4 on top of a 1x6 might not be much of a cliff - unless you are a 15 mm figure!  So, they'll do - eventually.  Ended up with a LOT of them.  What I like most is the ability to create a box canyon effect.  There will also be at least one waterfall.  Many, many options as to how to use these once they are done, which they are far away from being at this time.




This next lone shot is of a piece of terrain originally created for my pirate games.  With a four foot wide table they reach nicely from one side to the other which means they can be used in a variety of hill formations.
Which leads to this group of in progress terrain pieces.  These are meant to be high passes but can be used in a variety of ways.  One really cool use will be to arrange them in such a way as to create 'famous' passes - think Apache Pass or Kyburz Pass.  This is all adding a lot of options to what I can put on my table.






Above is a set of 16 spring grass pieces, some finished, some in progress.
And here we have two sets of 12 pieces each of tall grass, the left being nice and green and the right hand batch being very dried out (used lots of browns, tans, a little green, and a finish with saffron cans of spray paint).
The background above, to the right, is the summer green grass, 16 pieces.
And here, on the left and into the background are the 16 "California blonde" grass (think autumn).
Here is a small group of six pieces used for underbrush - bit of an oops here because when I built these I couldn't find the couple dozen other pieces I was looking for so these might get re-done at some point in time - or maybe I just build some more crowded pieces of underbrush.
Here you'll want to focus on the lower front - those are some areas of just rough, really dry ground.  Not shown because of issues with posting pictures and an out-of-date Safari on my other lap top are 3 each of two types of plowed fields.  I think, all told, I know have about 90 flavor pieces with more planned to get to at least 120 pieces.  The new challenge is how to store these so the wood bases won't warp.  Flat, flat, flat!

And, now, something a bit more fun: 20 regiments of American Revolution Cavalry primed and ready for painting.  Not the greatest photos, I'm afraid, and because of that photo loading challenge I'm not sure if the photos show all 20 regiments but I think they do.  But they provide evidence of progress.  I realize it is hard to see in many of the photos but there are dismounts to 'match' to every regiment, 12 men mounted on 12 horses, 12 dismounted men, a group of householders, and one dead cavalryman per unit (40 pieces x 20 regiments = 800 pieces to paint!!!  Yikes-a-zowie!)
Four regiments above.



 The above photo came out with better lighting for an unknown reason but you can at least see things better - 3 regiments in there.





All those regiments sort out to 3 British (16th, 17th, and mounted Highlanders), 3 Loyalist, 2 German, 4 Continental, 2 Legionary, Militia, 3 other revolutionary units like Washington's Life Guard, North Carolina and von Heer's Corp, and 2 French regiments.  Not all were actually full regiments but I want lots of cavalry for those hypothetical games I will be running.

And now to switch gears, here is the 'newest' of my French and Indian War units, the second provincial regiment.  No, the paint jobs won't win any awards - but those guys fight across the table just fine.
That flag has NY on one side and NJ (I think) on the other.  And seeing these photos I think I'll go back and use a wash on the skin tones - maybe.

Now that I have access to the blog again and have an idea how to sort out loading photos in the future, hope to get more posts up.  Though no promises they'll be soon because I'm putting a lot of my effort into my model railroad.


No comments:

Post a Comment